Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chronicles of Two Dreaming Eyes

Long long back- My parents are trying to make me sleep.Lights are off.Dad on one side,and mom on the other. But I wont be so easily pacified. After all,how can I take those beaches and trees and dreams of far-off lands out of my mind.and I hadn't really asked Daddy for anything much up till now..I am unrelenting..I want to go to Goa..AND I wont sleep unless I am promised that we'll go there next summer.
Dad promises and I sleep peacefully-Same story goes on for nights...

Weeks later,we are on board a train off to Bombay(as it was then) and Goa.

Class 8 -I have grown up,but the bed hasn't,so I am sleeping alone. Dreaming of Cardcaptors.That melodious opening theme(or the mere memory of it) is running through my mind, almost like a soundtrack.I wake up. Suddenly the reality dawns on me.There is no Cardcaptors now, no Dragon Ball Z.I probably wont get to watch them again. Pathetic shows now infest Cartoon Network.
Tears roll down my cheek. I make a silent promise to myself that I will earn lots of money and buy off CN.

Years later,I am downloading episodes of Dragon Ball Z from internet,illegally.


Class 10-Spotlights are on.I am in the centre of ESPN School Quiz. Somehow it is my day. Harsha Bhogle is asking questions to which Only I know the asnswers to.People are applauding. I wake up.Its dawn.
But the reality doesnt dawn on me right then.A few mins pass,I get up.I Promise myself that this year I will go to the quiz well prepared and win many episodes. I make up imaginary quiz circumstances in which I hit the 20 pointer in the end and get the "Hero of the day" award.
But as the memory of my last year's painful 1st round exit comes to haunt me,tears roll down my cheek.My fists are clenched.

ESPN School quiz never happened that year.



Class 11- I am dreaming , of a girl I like at tution.Unaware,I am smiling in my sleep.As I wake up, the smile persists. I just couldn't get her out of my head.I know where I am headed....

Class 12 after exams-A snow white face is approaching me in a bus.Even though everything is hazy and blurry, I just know who she is. She was the same girl I had dreamed of a year back.She was the same girl who I had just broken up with (or rather,as I would painfully admit,who had just broken up with me).
She comes up to me, holds my hand, says Shes sorry .I say I'm sorry.I just cant believe she came up to me. We decide to start over.My happiness knows no bound.I am leaping with joy.
This time the tears are already there when the reality dawns. The realization amplifies the waterworks.
It was just a dream.Like many of those previous dreams. Why !
Right then, I hate myself.I wish it wasnt just a dream.

After more than a year,She Who Must Not Be Named still visits my dreams,though a lot less frequently.


A few weeks back - I have been practicing it. Suddenly, one day, I achieve what I have been trying to do. I rise a few feet in air,with my hands flapping vigorously. I am flying."This must be a dream" I whisper to myself. After all, I had dreamed of flying many times before. I slap myself.
NO this wasn't just a dream.I try rising higher,but fail. After a few hours I go to insti rooftop, where a volleyball match is going on Himadri vs Kailash. I flap my hands.I rise higher than before ,but fall awkwardly.I need to practice this.I put myself on show during Rendevous,where people dismiss it as a magic trick.
After what seemed like days,I wake up.No tears.I say"shit".It was again a dream.

I have had 4-5 dreams about flying,but none felt as realistic as this.


A few days ago- I am arguing with my unrecognizable-in-reality friend. About GOD. I look out of the window. I surmise that if God exists, he will show itself to me that very moment. Suddenly I see something through the window.Then it disappears. I look harder- AND THEN....I am thrown over by the shock. I saw two monumental images of GOD-like people hanging in mid air.I was not able to look at that for more than a second.The view totally overpowers me.I am running out of breath.I hide behind the curtain. I ask my friend to look outside the window. He says he sees nothing. I beg him to look harder. He gasps and says-OH!
I wake up. I think about the dream."Shit Happened" ,I tell myself. What do I do now? Do I start believing? I saw GOD in my dream. The rationalist in me says that it happened because the ongoing discussions about God in my blog.Then I thought about my other dreams I had in my life--they were after all, just dreams.I never got to participate in ESPN school quiz again, the girl never came back to me, I have never known to fly,and I will definitely not buy CN. I think that I should not create much fuss about GOD.It doesnt really matter if he exists or not.

Dreams are fascinating.I love them and hate them, at the same time.
Its mindboggling how ,immediately after the dream you reckon what you saw was very interesting, and it seems awfully stupid after getting back to senses.
I dream a lot. My friends say its because I think too much.Maybe so.

There are a lot of interesting quotes about dreams like:
"
Dream is not what you see when you sleep…It’s the thing which does not let you sleep"

I am not talking about being philosophical here,just being practical.
Do they mean anything? Should I react to them? Would I be a fanatic If I ...for instance....get inspired about my flight dream and start doing something about it. Believing that I can really fly someday?or Start believing in GOD because of it?

I believe though dreams dont mean anything ,we can add meaning to them.Take them as a source for inspiration. Dreams as such are just a form of our imagination.
If they are nightmares, then just ignore them.
Also,I believe that Humans can fly someday.Maybe as a result of evolution.maybe just as a newly learned art.Just like swimming.and I wish I have something to do about it.

2 comments:

Mainak said...

Wow! You dream a lot. Yeah, we could have dreams as a source of inspiration.

Dreams are one of those things which do not make sense at times - at other times, the mean a lot to us - but are simply out of our reach.

Nevertheless, they offer the much needed respite from our busy earth life.

Piyush said...

I have also tried Lucid Dreaming.Its a lot of fun.But I couldnt sustain it for more than..like 30 seconds.

I felt a post which does justice to my blog title was long overdue.