Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Of Green Grasses and Tennis Lasses

Its the home of the most touching of rags to riches stories, most enthralling upsets,overnight stardom, path to Tennis greatness and its called -Wimbledon, and its here!

The season is on again. Official films, Off court interviews, and Historical matches are once again on top of my priorities when I switch on the TV, and being as vellah as I am, I do it very often.



Here are the tennis players I've admired the most over the years:

Men:
  1. Goran Ivanisevic
  2. Gustavo Kuerten
  3. Guillermo Coria
  4. Rafael Nadal
Women:

  1. Justine Henin Hardenne
  2. Martina Navratilova
  3. Martina Hingis
  4. Gabriela Sabatini
  5. Gigi Fernandez
  6. Jana Novotna
  7. Ana Ivanovic
  8. Nathalie Dechy
Obviously,the lists are biased because of my personal tendencies to favour the underdogs,dark horses,so-close-yet-so-far stories,and last but not the least, on the women's looks.


This year also ,even though Nadal is out,I'll be supporting a bunch of young players that I reckon will do well:
  • Sorana Cirstea(up against Mirza)
  • Agnieszka Radwanska
  • Juan Martin Del Potro
(Out of Context,but still notable- Wimbledon ,starring Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany, is the best sports based movie I've seen.)

5 comments:

Mainak said...

Yoyoyo! Wimbledon is back & so is Federer ;)

Why admire so many player? :P
Admire one like Federer or Nadal who always wins ;)

Piyush said...

Each player has a unique on-court and off-court persona,unique story.
Ofcourse,I admire Nadal,but that doesnt mean hes better than great players of yesteryears.
AND if I simply canty admire a player who always wins,like Federer once used to,because he made the game boring and expected.Also he didnt use to show any emotions on court which I hate in players.

Rohan said...

petro's out...

And I always think Marat Safin as the dangerous under dog... oh his day he can beat anyone and when the day's not his.... can be beaten by anyone random as well....

It's good you admire tennis players....Even I admire athletes more than entrepreneurs..So just think how much I'd be admiring them :D :D

Piyush said...

Ya petro's out and now cirstea too.


I also loved jis on court behaviour)breaking racquets and shouting at chair umpires. I still remember him beating Federer in 2005 Aussie open semis.5 setter,epic match.
Sad that this is his last year in the slams.
Time for little sister now..

Siddharth Bhattacharya said...

it's so great that potro's out and federer's persona on the court has lately been filled of emotions (ever since Nadal came)...with nadal i think you can't admire him it's just because you don't want federer to win...
and for those who i admire apart from federer:
roddick, safin, liked micheal chang
women: only henin-hardenne, graf, else sharapova due to looks