Sunday, December 14, 2008

Time Pass

I have been reading stories of Greek Mytholgy,and I came across Bacchus(also called Dionysus),the god of wine(as many would recall from from 'Ode to the west wind' by Shelley).Now ,acc. to wiki,he is 'the inspirer of ritual madness', and the frenzy he induces is called, bakcheia.
Now I am wondering ,is this is the etymology and the origin of the famous word in our IIT lingo-"bakchodi" ? Nay,not probable.
Meanwhile,I finished 'The Kite Runner '.Totally amazing book.The way its written, especially the description of human emotions, is awe-inspiring.It provides a totally new dimension of thought and culture.Especially because the Afghan culture has never been portrayed in any book I read previously.The character buildup is strong,and the book is flawless-everything fits in.
The only thing that it lacked was self-discovery.No element was left unexplained,even those which could have been easily guessed by the readers.The writer connects the past and the present beautifully,and explains the connection ,though I felt it would have been better if the readers were left to figure out the connections.
and The Flashbacks.They totally capture your heart.The ending is great,and the book has been planned out well.Overall I would give it 8.5/10.
After reading a series of fantasy books,I was thinking how did I enjoy those non-fantasy novels?Now I know.I feel.
I also watched many movies in the past few days:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,The Ghost Rider,Kung Fu Panda ,Crazy/Beautiful and WALL-E.
Watching WALL-E was another unique experience.Especially the subtleness of different elements in the movie.How,by only a few select words which the robots utter,we understand the whole depth of their emotions.The movie captured all the greatness of the Silent-Film era.The way it combines the element of Love,Artificial Intelligence and 'the future of mankind' ,is awesome.I loved the character of the The Cleaner Robot and the Cockroach(remember the study that says only they can survive a nuclear war? ).

A few (my favourite) excerpts from The Kite Runner:
Salaam,” I said. “I’m sorry to be mozahem, I didn’t mean to disturb you.” “Salaam.” “Is General Sahib here today?” I said. My ears were burning. I couldn’t bring myself to look her in the eye. “He went that way,” she said. Pointed to her right. The bracelet slipped down to her elbow, silver against olive. “Will you tell him I stopped by to pay my respects?” I said. “I will.”
“Thank you,” I said. “Oh, and my name is Amir. In case you need to know. So you can tell him. That I stopped by. To... pay my respects.” “Yes.” I shifted on my feet, cleared my throat. “I’ll go now. Sorry to have disturbed you.” “Nay, you didn’t,” she said. “Oh. Good.” I tipped my head and gave her a half smile. “I’ll go now.” Hadn’t I already said that? “Khoda hãfez.” “Khoda hãfez.” I began to walk. Stopped and turned. I said it before I had a chance to lose my nerve: “Can I ask what you’re reading?” She blinked. I held my breath.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had this: that perhaps something, someone, somewhere, had decided to deny me fatherhood for the things I had done. Maybe this was my punishment, and perhaps justly so. It wasn’t meant to be, Khala Jamila had said. Or, maybe, it was meant not to be.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My body was broken--just how badly I wouldn’t find out until later--but I felt healed. Healed at last. I laughed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And so it was that, about a week later, we crossed a strip of warm, black tarmac and I brought Hassan’s son from Afghanistan to America, lifting him from the certainty of turmoil and dropping him in a turmoil of uncertainty.
IT WOULD BE ERRONEOUS to say Sohrab was quiet. Quiet is peace. Tranquillity. Quiet is turning down the VOLUME knob on life. Silence is pushing the OFF button. Shutting it down. All of it. Sohrab’s silence wasn’t the self-imposed silence of those with convictions, of protesters who seek to speak their cause by not speaking at all. It was the silence of one who has taken cover in a dark place, curled up all the edges and tucked them under. He didn’t so much live with us as occupy space. And precious little of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Unknown said...

just commenting to give you an attendance dat i read coz dere were no comments after two days...
i too liked wall-e nd the kite runner..
well, my fav. part is .... ( :D )
“What a tight little sugary cunt she had!” the soldier was saying, shaking hands with
the others, grinning. Later, in the dark, after the movie had started, I heard Hassan
next to me, croaking. Tears were sliding down his cheeks. I reached across my seat,
slung my arm around him, pulled him close. He rested his head on my shoulder. “He
took you for someone else,” I whispered. “He took you for someone else.”

pgm said...

eh, divyam? you seen a kite runner movie?

and about the book... its strange, even though its so amazing, i harly remember it (i remember more of Thousand Splendid Suns and i was trying to fit in those excerpts you put and was getting confused).

"...but they're only debating male names. Because Laila already knows the name if its a girl."

Unknown said...

@pradeep(pgm)
naah dint c da muvee